Sloe Pickings

What a gorgeous day it has been.  A proper autumnal day....the kind where you have to wrap up warm to venture out, but the sun is shining in a clear blue sky.  Just after 9am we gave our fellow 'itch to stitcher' Nicola (who lives just up the green) a call and suggested a hedgerow ramble to pick some sloes.  The little man and myself got togged up in our winter woollies and headed out with our empty basket.




The first part of the blackthorne hedge was bare (someone had beaten us to it)...but further down we found an abundance.


This is the view of Castle Howard looking back over the field.  Beautiful eh!

Poor Nicola ended up doing most of the picking, whilst I got snap happy with the camera.




Our village green.

Rosie's apples going free to good homes.....got some to make an apple crumble!



A hour later we headed back to Nicola's, with basket full, for tea and flapjack.  Perfect start to any day I would say!

We are going to plan a little Christmas Party for our 'Itch to Stitch' group and decided the perfect tipple for our festivities is Sloe Gin and Vodka cocktails.  My Sloes need to go in the freezer for a couple of days though to split them (as I don't have the patience to pin prick them all by hand).  I will show you the finished product at a later date!

My husband had the day off today so we went out for a lesiurely pub lunch.  We found a lovely place with a roaring log fire where we decamped  for the afternoon. 

I have had the most relaxing day...but as always once baby was bathed, talced and tucked up in bed I was itching to get my stitching and crocheting projects out of their basket.  Here's what I am doing at the moment!






This one I have named my puff ball patchwork.....using lots of small floral fabrics.  The alternate light pink pieces in a former life were my libery pyjamas.  Each of the pieces are made from larger circles of fabric, each one stiched around the outside and gathered like little shower caps. It still has a way to go but I am loving this one and not losing enthusiasm.  Should be finished in a week or so.



This is a simple crochet blanket (100% Aran Wool) I have started... I aim to do about 20 stripes and then applique two red hearts into one of the bottom corners!  I normally always have a nice easy project like this on the go, so if I need a bit of time out from a complicated project, I can pick this up for half an hour or so.

Really looking forward to next week ..... it is the Homespun and Vintage Fair in Pickering, North Yorkshire on Saturday the 30th October. http://homespunandvintage.blogspot.com/2010/10/our-very-first-homespun-vintage-fair.html.  I have been saving my pennies.  I will tell you more next time.

Till then! xx

Comments

Popular Posts